Views
Helpful
Replies

Accounting total traffic

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking into a way to do the following.

Measure traffic utilization on the router WAN interface, total inbound and outbound.

There is one IPsec VTI tunnel configured on router, and all traffic through this router is

going over VTI, also EIGRP is running over it.

The NetFlow and SNMP monitoring is not possible because it is connected over very slow GPRS link.

The IP Accounting feature don't account traffic generated by the router.

I was looking on show interface command and it is showing total inbound and outbound traffic,

but I think it is also showing some layer 2 staff (NOT SURE) and think it is not apply to this situation?

Is there any way to measure total traffic in and out, that is passing through GPRS service provider?

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SNMP has low overhead and you can set polling times. It is the best way to monitor it. You can also look at show interface and get a rough estimate with

txload 1/255, rxload 13/255

and

5 minute input rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

13344830 packets input, 3201145237 bytes

12239320 packets output, 191635335 bytes 5 minute input rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     13344830 packets input, 3201145237 bytes
     12239320 packets output, 191635335 bytes

With the above you'll want to clear your counters after viewing them

Thank you for helping.

The problem is I don't have direct network access to this router, so there is no way for SNMP traffic.

I am looking for solution which will collect traffic locally.

Hi,

Do you have any PC connected to router in the same Network; if yes then you can use any B/W monitoring tool to check the RX & TX traffic on the interfaces of the router.

Happy to Help

Ranjit.

Thank you for helping,

Yes there is one PC connected, but i don’t have access to  it.

I need solution which can account traffic locally. What about show interface command, are results very

rough ?

Dear Ngtrangse,

You can install a software like PRTG to capture interface bandwidth of the router from your PC also, you just need a SNMP configured on the router to poll and get the reports.

Regards,

Ranjit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card