Views
Helpful
Replies

active, versus standby, versus member in 3650 stack

lkadlik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am stacking some 3650s together.  After stacking them I noticed the active switch, standby switch, and member switches.  I understand that the active member controls the stack and keeps the configuration file and if that switch goes down the standby switch takes over but I have a few questions.

1) The standby switch can be used like a normal switch correct ( ie all of those ports are available)?

2) What happens if both the Active and Standby switches in the stack go down?  Will a member switch take over and become the active switch?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Yes - it would be only to any physical interfaces it has connected it

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

lpassmore
Level 1
Level 1

If you lose both the active and standby switches, the other member switches will most likely restart and cause another election

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

Yes - it would be only to any physical interfaces it has connected it

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

So yes to question 1 then.  Is that correct?

What happens if the active and standby switch both go down?

Thank you.

lpassmore
Level 1
Level 1

If you lose both the active and standby switches, the other member switches will most likely restart and cause another election

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card