cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a switch to the stack

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I have a Catalyst 3750 I want to add to an existing stack (same models) through the stackwise port

We use some complex QoS and other features on our network, and I'm not sure how much configuration I need to do on the new switch before adding it to the stack. Since this is going into an existing setup, I want to be very careful.

Any advice on how to do this, or what to look out for would be greatly appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ranraju
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Colin,

I understand that you've got a new 3750 catalyst switch and you would like to add this into an existing stack, here you don't have to configure anything on your new switch before adding it into the stack. Once you connect this switch onto the stack it would however erase all the configurations thats on the new 3750 switch.

Precautions to be taken here is ..

1. Save the running-config and have a backup of it as well.

2. Make sure that the current master of the stack has the highest priority of 15, or the priority of the new switch is lower than that of the master.

3. Power off the new switch, then connect the stackwise cables and power on the new switch.

Once done, you are good to go and from here you should be able to put some configuration on the switch that you've just added.

The following document should be handy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack3

Hope this helps..:-)

Regards,

Ranganath

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ranraju
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Colin,

I understand that you've got a new 3750 catalyst switch and you would like to add this into an existing stack, here you don't have to configure anything on your new switch before adding it into the stack. Once you connect this switch onto the stack it would however erase all the configurations thats on the new 3750 switch.

Precautions to be taken here is ..

1. Save the running-config and have a backup of it as well.

2. Make sure that the current master of the stack has the highest priority of 15, or the priority of the new switch is lower than that of the master.

3. Power off the new switch, then connect the stackwise cables and power on the new switch.

Once done, you are good to go and from here you should be able to put some configuration on the switch that you've just added.

The following document should be handy:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#stack3

Hope this helps..:-)

Regards,

Ranganath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card