cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Multicast Rendevous Point for Specific Group (Sanity Check)

zachartl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently added another RP to our PIM Sparse-mode Network. We utilize BSR. This may've had adverse affect to our ACI Border Leafs but I wanted to be sure from a Multicast Perspective, I can add another RP Candidate for a specific Group? Along side our existing RP. And all should operate normally right?

The primary RP manages all PIM Multicast Groups

The RP candidate I added would manage one Group, in our case, 224.100.0.0/28

There should be no adverse affects doing this right? IP/Group conflicts aside of course.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @zachartl,

Adding another RP candidate for a specific multicast group should not have any adverse effects on your PIM Sparse-mode Network or ACI Border Leafs, as long as there are no IP/Group conflicts. In a PIM Sparse-mode network, multiple RP candidates can coexist, and each RP candidate can be responsible for different multicast groups.

In your scenario, if you have a primary RP that manages all PIM Multicast Groups and you added another RP candidate specifically for the group 224.100.0.0/28, it should operate normally without causing any issues. The primary RP will continue to handle all other multicast groups, while the new RP candidate will be responsible for the 224.100.0.0/28 group.

Just ensure that the RP candidate you added is correctly configured and reachable by the multicast sources and receivers for the 224.100.0.0/28 group. Additionally, make sure there are no conflicts with existing RP candidates or any other IP/Group addresses in your network.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @zachartl,

Adding another RP candidate for a specific multicast group should not have any adverse effects on your PIM Sparse-mode Network or ACI Border Leafs, as long as there are no IP/Group conflicts. In a PIM Sparse-mode network, multiple RP candidates can coexist, and each RP candidate can be responsible for different multicast groups.

In your scenario, if you have a primary RP that manages all PIM Multicast Groups and you added another RP candidate specifically for the group 224.100.0.0/28, it should operate normally without causing any issues. The primary RP will continue to handle all other multicast groups, while the new RP candidate will be responsible for the 224.100.0.0/28 group.

Just ensure that the RP candidate you added is correctly configured and reachable by the multicast sources and receivers for the 224.100.0.0/28 group. Additionally, make sure there are no conflicts with existing RP candidates or any other IP/Group addresses in your network.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi M02@rt,

I wanted to Thank you for having taken the time to respond to my inquiry. I just wanted to be sure that adding the RP Candidate for a specific Group would not in any way affect the rest of the Multicast Domain. Thank you, I very much appreciate the affirmation.

Best Regards,

Terry

Hello
Adding redundancy to PIM BSR  is recommended so all pim rtrs are then aware of the primary/backup  BSR rp 

Primary BSR
access-list 1 permit 224.100.0.0 0.0.0.15
ip pim rp-candidate loopback 0 group-list 1
ip pim bsr-candidate loopback 0 200

Backup BSR
access-list 1 permit 224.100.0.0 0.0.0.15
ip pim rp-candidate loopback 0  group-list 1 priority 200

ip pim bsr-candidate loopback 0

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I just wanted to be sure that what I did in our Multicast Domain was quite alright and thus a bit of Sanity Check. I also appreciate the Helpful configuration input/s.

Best Regards and Have a great weekend,

Terry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card