cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternative to Allowas-in xx

IrmanGhaffar
Level 1
Level 1

In a lab I was comparing Cisco's BGP implementation to some other vendors.

If We have a customer with 2 locations (New York and Arizona), connected via a L3 IPVPN (MPLS service provider) we would be running BGP from the customer AS (at each location) to the Service provider's AS.

You see the problem, both locations use the same BGP AS number so routes will be rejected by each customer router because they have come from the same AS, BGP thinks its a loop. Ofcourse we can fix this by doing a "neighbour x.x.x.x allowas-in 2" as an example.

Can this actually be done on the service providers equipment instead so the customer wont have to put the command in? I know some vendors have an alternative solution which allows for the customer not needing the allowas-in command but have not managed to find anything for cisco.

I have attached a basic topology, ofcourse the CE AS is common and runs BGP to the PE.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the "neighbor <neighbor address> as-override" command on the PE in order to achieve what you want.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-architecture-documents/understanding-bgp-as-override-feature/ta-p/3111967

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

is this a theoretical, lab scenario ? In real life, an ISP would not give out the same AS to two different customers...

The ISP could configure local-as, which is a feature that 'tricks' the neighbor in believing it is peering with a different AS

neighbor x.x.x.x local-as local-AS-number

Unless an ISP has a need for that, which usually is only the case when two ISPs merge, I doubt they will do that.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use the "neighbor <neighbor address> as-override" command on the PE in order to achieve what you want.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-architecture-documents/understanding-bgp-as-override-feature/ta-p/3111967

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México