cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Another QoS question

Brian Green
Level 1
Level 1

I have another QoS question.  I have 4 DMVPN tunnels going from each Spoke to the Hub, and each spoke can be using a different Bandwidth, depending on how they connect back to the Hub.  I have per-tunnel policies set up, but I wanted to ask - is there a way to have some of the tunnels from the Hub to a Spoke do proper QoS prioritization of traffic?  For example, if I have a 5 Mbps link between the Hub and a given Spoke, there are 4 tunnels running between them that are all shaped at 1.25 Mbps each.  What I would like to do (and is running on the Spoke for the Spoke-to-Hub direction) is have one tunnel have a dedicated 1.25 Mbps, while the others share the remaining 3.75 Mbps, each with a guaranteed minimum of 1.25 Mbps - is this possible?  And there's no real way to do this through ACLs as I don't know the address of the Spoke beforehand.

Thanks,

Brian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What I would like to do (and is running on the Spoke for the Spoke-to-Hub direction) is have one tunnel have a dedicated 1.25 Mbps, while the others share the remaining 3.75 Mbps, each with a guaranteed minimum of 1.25 Mbps - is this possible?

As far as I know, Cisco doesn't have a feature to share a known aggregate bandwidth between spokes.  (I.e. spokes sharing their current bandwidth utilization to the hub with the other spokes so their current aggregate doesn't exceed the hub's bandwidth.)

If the router on the other side of the hub link supported QoS, then you wouldn't need to shape the spokes.  (NB: often available with MPLS clouds.)

Otherwise, there's a recent new feature in DMVPN, where tunnels will dynamically shape based on concurrent IP SLA tests.  If IP SLA sees a slowdown, the router assumes there's congestion, and shapes its egress slower.  In theory, this should provide results to what you're hoping to do.  In practice, I haven't tried this feature and don't know how "laggy" it is.  Might be too slow to react if trying to support something like VoIP.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Brian Green
Level 1
Level 1

I did up a drawing to better explain the layout.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What I would like to do (and is running on the Spoke for the Spoke-to-Hub direction) is have one tunnel have a dedicated 1.25 Mbps, while the others share the remaining 3.75 Mbps, each with a guaranteed minimum of 1.25 Mbps - is this possible?

As far as I know, Cisco doesn't have a feature to share a known aggregate bandwidth between spokes.  (I.e. spokes sharing their current bandwidth utilization to the hub with the other spokes so their current aggregate doesn't exceed the hub's bandwidth.)

If the router on the other side of the hub link supported QoS, then you wouldn't need to shape the spokes.  (NB: often available with MPLS clouds.)

Otherwise, there's a recent new feature in DMVPN, where tunnels will dynamically shape based on concurrent IP SLA tests.  If IP SLA sees a slowdown, the router assumes there's congestion, and shapes its egress slower.  In theory, this should provide results to what you're hoping to do.  In practice, I haven't tried this feature and don't know how "laggy" it is.  Might be too slow to react if trying to support something like VoIP.

Thanks for the reply.  I was thinking this may be the situation - while I'm not happy with it, at least we have something, and the decision-makers above me will have to live with it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco