cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone can confirm one concept for me about weight and local preference ?

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Anyone can confirm one concept for me about weight and local preference ?  Someone say that weight and local preference are configured on inbound policy and affect outbound traffic. Can I say  weight and local preference are configured to affect inbound routes and affect outbound traffic ? 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

To confirm - these attributes are normally used to influence outbound traffic and will be applied/used on inbound routes/prefixes.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Partially Right. Weight is a proprietary attribute that will be configured on a local BGP router to apply on inbound routes so that it influence the outbound traffic (prefer or not to prefer the route depends on the weight value).

On the other hand, Local Preference is used to influence outbound traffic (similar to weight), but can either be configured by local router for inbound routes or can be advertised by neighbor.

HTH,

Nagendra

Thank you for your reply. Sorry i maybe not express it clearly. I did not ask the difference between weight and local preference. so I possibly already got answer from your reply. what i want to know the weight and local preference are configured in INBOUND ROUTES and affect the INBOUND ROUTES. It looks like you already confirmed it, right ? 

Hi,

To confirm - these attributes are normally used to influence outbound traffic and will be applied/used on inbound routes/prefixes.

HTH,

Nagendra

Yes, exactly. Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card