Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 / Switching Issue?

chaseovermire
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a situation in one of our offices and I am not totally sure if its a problem or how it's even occuring - I was hoping some one here would be able to point me in the right direction?

We have an office that consists of the following:

· ASA 5505

· Aironet 1130 AG

Both 2950's and the WAP are plugged into the ASA, Eth0/1 for one switch Eth0/2 for the other, both switches are also plugged into each other. The WAP is on Eth0/7 and not directly connected to either switch.

I could be wrong as its been years since I have really dealt with any Cisco related materials but I recall that CDP was for directly connected devices only. So for exmaple if I ran SH CDP NEI on one of the switches it would only show the directly connected devices, which in this case would be the other switch. What’s strange is that running that command on either switch results in the WAP appearing on GI0/1, which is the port that connects the switches. The WAP is not directly connected to either switch, how is it that the WAP appears as a Neighbor on both switches on the same port that they are connected on when its not connected there at all?

So just to summarize.

· Switches connected to each other on GI0/1 and to an ASA on another port

· WAP connected directly only to the ASA on Eth 0/7

· Running Sh cdp nei on either switch reports that the WAP is connected to GI0/1

Is the ASA acting as a hub or pass through device of some sort or is something else going on? Anyone have any incite on this? I'd appreciate it.

Device ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port ID

WAP Gig 0/1 146 T I AIR-AP1131Fas 0

Lan02 Gig 0/1 159 S I WS-C2950T-Gig 0/1

Thanks,

Chase

1 Reply 1

smartd_03
Level 1
Level 1

What is the trunking between the switches? Make sure they are both same either isl or dot1q. Bring down the connection between

both switches and do a show cdp neighbor once more. What is the output that you now get?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card