cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Access List Outside

n-dominguez
Level 1
Level 1

How do you create an access list to allow network traffic outside (for web browsing for example), but not allow it to the other networks?

The only way I can seem to get network access is to have an ACL like this:
access-list ACL1 extended permit ip object-group OBJ-INSIDE-NETWORK any

The problem with this ACL is that the ANY means that it also allows traffic to my other networks which are segregated and only have a few open ports.

I've tried:

access-list ACL1 extended permit ip object-group OBJ-INSIDE-NETWORK interface outside

But that doesn't allow the traffic.

How do I create an ACL that will allow network traffic to the outside network without allowing traffic to all of the other networks?

11 Replies 11

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

What do you mean by other network?
Are you talking about networks reachable through other ASA interfaces?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Assuming they are private networks. Create 3 objects, 1 for each 1918 address space. Then simply create a rule to deny to all of those networks. Put that at the top. And create an allow rule like you had below it. If later you need to allow acess from inside to another internal network just add a specific permit above that deny rule.

Ex:
Object 192.168.x.x
Network 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

Object 172.16.x.x
Network 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0

Object 10.x.x.x
Network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Object group private-networks
Object 192.168.x.x
Object 172.16.x.x
Object 10.x.x.x

@mls577 wrote:

Assuming they are private networks. Create 3 objects, 1 for each 1918 address space. Then simply create a rule to deny to all of those networks. Put that at the top. And create an allow rule like you had below it. If later you need to allow acess from inside to another internal network just add a specific permit above that deny rule.

Ex:
Object 192.168.x.x
Network 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

Object 172.16.x.x
Network 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0

Object 10.x.x.x
Network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Object group private-networks
Object 192.168.x.x
Object 172.16.x.x
Object 10.x.x.x

This is what we're doing now. It works, but we end up with a bunch  of rules. And it leaves room for error if another network is added later and somebody forgets to add it to the object-group for deny.

I mean other VLANs. Same interface but different VLAN and different subnet.

Ok let me recap just to be sure I got your design right.
You have 1 link connecting your switch to ASA, let's call this interface inside.
Behind that inside interface (on your switch), you have different subnets and you want to filter communication between these subnets?

First of all, does your SVI for all these vlans are on your switch? If Yes, firewall won't drop anything as inter-vlan routing is done by your switch.
If not, where are SVIs hosted? On ASA? If on ASA, that means, you have different sub-interfaces and then you can play with security-level or you can deny communication between interfaces with same level and manage access inbound by using ACL.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Switches are layer 2. So it's a Router On a Stick configuration.

We do have the security levels set, but the ACL overrides this. So when I have a "enterprise -> any http" rule, it not only allows that traffic to the outside interface, but it also allows it to all the other VLANS. I want something like "inside -> 'outside interface'" http, but that isn't working.

I was taking about security levels of all your svi were on asa. As you said, your svis are on your router and your router is connected to asa. Am i right?

Let's say you have vlan 10 and 20 on your router. The routing between your vlans won't pass to the firewall unless you create vrfs and default route for those vrfs hours through asa otherwise no chance to block that with your asa in your design.

If svis were on asa, even with same security level, and if you deny traffic forwarding between interfaces with same security level the traffic won't pass.

Give us a quick drawing of your architecture and where are vlans you want to block.

Thanks
Francesco

The ASA is acting on the router.

ASA is acting on router? What does that means?

Thanks
Francesco

Sorry, I meant the ASA is acting as the router. The ASA is doing all the routing between subnets.

Ok then it should work as mentioned.
Can you share your config?

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card