Helpful
Replies

ASA -> ROUTER -> LAN - syslog question

crisponions
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am running the following config

cloud -> ASA -> ROUTER -> LAN,

I am doing NAT/PAT on the router instead of the ASA because I am bumping up against my 10 user license.

Everything is working fine, but I am having an issue trying to get the asa to log to a syslog server inside the LAN.

I have the pointed the ASA logging host to the outside IP of the router, and set up a static nat statement on the router  to forward traffic on port 514 to the internal syslog server.

It isn't working, from what I am showing the ASA isn't even trying to log to the router (no hits for the nat translation are shown in the router)

I am going about this wrong, any suggestions?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have a spare interface on your ASA that you could configure and connect a test PC running something like Kiwi syslog to see if it will receive the syslog messages? If that works then maybe there is a problem with the NAT config.

- There are no ACLs on your LAN that could be blocking traffic?

- What is the syslog software that you are using? Is it working successfully now for other Cisco devices in your network?

- You could try configuring Netflow on your router to see if it is receiving any syslog traffic from the ASA.

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Have you enabled logging ?

have you set the right logging host ?

have you set that whatever you want to be logged ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00805a2e04.shtml

Good luck

HTH

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post your configs?

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have a spare interface on your ASA that you could configure and connect a test PC running something like Kiwi syslog to see if it will receive the syslog messages? If that works then maybe there is a problem with the NAT config.

- There are no ACLs on your LAN that could be blocking traffic?

- What is the syslog software that you are using? Is it working successfully now for other Cisco devices in your network?

- You could try configuring Netflow on your router to see if it is receiving any syslog traffic from the ASA.

Please remember to rate all posts that are helpful.

Thanks for the tips.  It turned out the be the logging server.  Tested having the router log to it

and it failed too.  Changed some configs on the syslog server and all is working as expected.

Thanks

Thanks for the rating and thanks for the feedback. Good to see it was a simple fix.

Cheers

Sean

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card