cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAv using SR-IOV interfaces with ESXi

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

In setting up a few ASAv using SR-IOV  I'm finding the ordering of the interfaces in vSphere doesn't reliably correspond to the interfaces on the host. For example:

Normally:

Man0/0: Network Adapter1 [E1000]

Te0/0: Network Adapter2 [SR-IOV]

Te0/1: Network Adapter3 [SR-IOV]

Te0/2: Network Adapter4 [SR-IOV]

Te0/3: Network Adapter5 [SR-IOV]

Sometimes:

Man0/0: Network Adapter1 [E1000]

Te0/2: Network Adapter2 [SR-IOV]

Te0/3: Network Adapter3 [SR-IOV]

Te0/0: Network Adapter4 [SR-IOV]

Te0/1: Network Adapter5 [SR-IOV]

i.e. The order of SR-IOV adapters has reversed and I can't work out how to un-reverse it.

This is mentioned vaguely in the ASAv optimisation guide:

It is important that you verify the interface mapping before you begin configuring the SR-IOV network interfaces on the ASAv. This ensures that the network interface configuration will apply to the correct physical MAC address interface on the VM host.

I'm concerned that something would change in the future and this ordering could switch around. This would be an absolute nightmare as the config would all be skewed, peerings would go down etc.

Does anyone know of a solution? Has anyone tried SR-IOV or do you stick with the VXNET3?

Many thanks

James.

1 Reply 1

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

More fun with SR-IOV in ESXi... I know this is suggested as a best practice, but I'm not so sure.

sr-iov.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card