cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask an ISP to map a public IP address to your residence? (also DmVPN)

MicJameson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello tech gods.

I have an uninformed client that has requested a VPN strategy in which he can drop off a Cisco router with a pre-configured tunnel configuration & public IP address, to a co-worker's home so that the co worker can (in short) plug the router into the wall, and use it. Theoretically I can perform this.

My two questions are...

1. Am I correct in stating that in order for this to work, he will need to contact each local ISP and have them map the public IP address to their network?

2. Is there any configuration, or even router software, (perhaps a form of DMVPN) in which this client's local router can initially contact the remote router, especially behind a NAT wall? (I don't think so.)

3. Clearly this is not the best strategy. While I understand there are many unknowns regarding his business, within this basic scenario what would you suggest is the best strategy for him?

Thank you!

Jim (ENCORE 2021)

4 Replies 4

I'm investigating your link now. Thank you sir!

Hello

Wouldnt a cliient vpn be applicable here?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will research it.

I'd appreciate if you can clear up one point for me-- how could any VPN solution work if the Public IP address wasn't somehow initially mapped by the ISP, such as if I only configured it on an interface connected to my residence?

Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card