Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1002 IOS Upgrade Process

steven.allspach
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Friends,

I am working to upgrade the IOS on an ASR 1002 series router and I am a little confused by process listed in the Cisco documentation found here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/issu.html#wp1136595

This router is not in production so I am not worried about a loss of service.  I was wondering if I can just do a normal IOS upgrade like I would on an regular ISR router.  copy the new IOS to the flash and change the boot statement without having to go through all the SSO and Subpackage steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Steven Allspach

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven

The approach that you describe of copy the new image and change the boot statement does work for ASR1002. I have done it on ASR1002 and it worked fine.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven

The approach that you describe of copy the new image and change the boot statement does work for ASR1002. I have done it on ASR1002 and it worked fine.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Thank you for the response.  I will use that approach.

If you are going to upgrade the IOS don't forget to uprade the bootstrap.

Do I have to upgrade the bootstrap each time I upgrade the IOS or just when I change major versions?

IT's up to you.  I always upgrade the bootstrap when it's available.

Hi friends,

Please let me know, current  running IOS for ASR1002 router.

I have a customer who is running this version asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.07.03.S.152-4.S3.bin

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

When I run copy tftp bootflash: for ASR1002 3.10.....the tftp process starts and after about 10 minutes timeout when almost complete.  I tried to change the block size on the tftp server but I get the exact same results.  What am I doing wrong.  I have been trying all day and it is driving me nuts.

the tftp process starts and after about 10 minutes timeout when almost complete.

This sounds like your TFTP client you are using cannot handle the large file.  Have you tried using TFTPd32/TFTPd64?   It's a free progie and you can find it here.

How far is the router from you?  If it's just nearby, you can copy the IOS to the appliance using a supported USB stick.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card