ASR 1002 Monitor

bmanning5
Level 4
Level 4

I have an ASR 1002 that I have placed the following config on:

monitor session 1 type local
 source interface Gi0/0/2 , Gi0/3/0
 destination interface Gi0/3/4

I am not receiving any traffic on the destination port, is this really supported on the ASR?

4 Replies 4

briadunn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Please see below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/lanswitch/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/lanswitch-xe-3s-asr1000-book/lnsw-conf-erspan.html#GUID-152D9875-169B-461F-A34B-ABAABD0C1FF8

"The monitor session span-session-number type local command is not supported on Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers."

===You may though configure ERSPAN to work as a local SPAN===
*  Make sure that both the source session and destination session have the same erspan-id
*  Use one locally configured IPv4 address to configure the "ip address" and "origin ip address" in source session and "ip address" in destination session

Example snip: Monitor interface Gig0/0/0 traffic, and then send out through interface Gig0/0/1..

monitor session 10 type erspan-source
 source interface Gi0/0/0
 destination
  erspan-id 10
  ip address 10.10.10.1
  origin ip address 10.10.10.1

monitor session 20 type erspan-destination
 destination interface Gi0/0/1
 source
  erspan-id 10
  ip address 10.10.10.1

Thanks for the information.  Do you know why it is not support on the 1002?  I am just curious why the command is excepted yet it does not work. 

The ASR's architecture (RP, ESP, SIP, etc) and SW feature support is a little different than the 6500/7600 where you would normally use the local span feature. The command was removed in later versions of code to avoid confusion.

ASR1k(config)#monitor session 1 type ?
  erspan-destination  Encapsulated RSPAN Destination Session
  erspan-source       Encapsulated RSPAN Source Session

ASR1k(config)#do sh ver
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.13.01.S - Extended Support Release
Cisco IOS Software, ASR1000 Software (PPC_LINUX_IOSD-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.4(3)S1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Thanks for your help.  I will give the ERSPAN config a try.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card