cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1006 WAN connection

james.king14
Level 1
Level 1

Can the router handle more than two ISP at one time.  we have a VZ MPLS circuit and want to add a regular OC3 as a diverse connection, also we have a DS3 circuit ?  can this router handle all three connections and its routing table?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much would depend on what exactly your ASR 1006 hardware comprises.  I.e. what's the actual ESP and RP and RAM installed?

What's the bandwidth of your VZ MPLS ciruit?

When you asked about handling three connections, would this then be for full Internet BGP tables from all three?

View solution in original post

If you have all the needed interfaces, and sufficient performance to drive them (which I suspect even a low-end/basic ASR 1006 would have), you should be fine there, but I'm unsure whether the low-end/basic ASR would have sufficient RAM to deal with three full Internet tables.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much would depend on what exactly your ASR 1006 hardware comprises.  I.e. what's the actual ESP and RP and RAM installed?

What's the bandwidth of your VZ MPLS ciruit?

When you asked about handling three connections, would this then be for full Internet BGP tables from all three?

Thank you replying to my questions.  Let's say I have the basic 1000 series with RP1 and SPI card.  Yes we have a OC3 card installed.  The MPLS VPN circuit will be 200mgb.  The other circuits will utilized BGP./eBGP.  My question is can I bring in the DS3 into a fiber card on the ASR?  While having a direct link to one of the ethernet ports.

If you have all the needed interfaces, and sufficient performance to drive them (which I suspect even a low-end/basic ASR 1006 would have), you should be fine there, but I'm unsure whether the low-end/basic ASR would have sufficient RAM to deal with three full Internet tables.

That was my thought at first, we are still using the low-end basic RAM settings.  So if we get more RAM it should work.  here is some of the specs on the device.

10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 Packet over SONET interfaces
32768K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
4194304K bytes of physical memory.
917503K bytes of eUSB flash at bootflash:.
39004543K bytes of SATA hard disk at harddisk:.

Thanks everyone for the input.......

Hi James,

I hope you will need a DS3 SPA to handle your DS3 termination. For example SPA-2XT3/E3-V2 or SPA-4XT3/E3-V2.

HTH

-Amit

Yes we are in the process of receiving the  SPA-2XT3/E3-V2 modules.  Just needed to know if it can handle that many circuits at one time.  Especially since we will be multihoming the MPLS circuits.  This is what I envision the MPLS to look like once completed.

Hi James,

Yes, a good size of RAM will definitely required to handle 3 times full internet routing table over three different connections.

HTH

-Amit

Hi Amit,

What is the least amount of RAM needed to provide service for these ASR series in the scenario that I have described?  I am thinking about 12-16, now can these ASR's handle that much RAM without causing problems?

Hi James,

Memory can be scaled up to 4 GB DRAM on the RP1. You can use below links for RAM options and Route performance chart.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-441072.html

HTH

-Amit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card