Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9001 capabilities (full BGP + PPS)

btel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We would like to replace our existing router with a Cisco ASR 9001. We would like to know the capabilities of such unit, in regards of both PPS and simple BGP taking full feeds from multiple providers. Would it be able to hold for example 3 to 3.5 million routes from 4 different ISP / BGP Sessions? 

I have searched for such information all day today for this specific router and have yet to find any.

Thanks,

Peter

2 Replies 2

Filip Knezevic
Level 1
Level 1

You need Typhoon class line cards that are capable of holding that amount of routes.

Quote from a previous thread by Cisco employee:

"For trident LC the limit is 1.3M and for Typhoon 4M (note, the limit is per LC and not per RSP)

Trident:                IPv4 + 2*IPv6 <=1.3M

Typhoon:             IPv4 + 2*IPv6 <=4M"

So if you want four million of routes, you need Typhoon cards. 

Right now, one full BGP table have around 770k routes.

I see your point, however, spending all my night searching, I have found on this document at this link

The ASR9001 RSP uses a 32 bit quad-core Freescale PPC CPU (P4040 @ 1.5Ghz)

• The ASR9001s use a fixed Typhoon based forwarding platform so they support 4M IPv4 or 2M IPv6 prefixes (shared TCAM) and 1M MPLS labels.

Ok so I got my answer for the IPv4 prefixes, but moving on an searching for the pps: 

2nd Gen: Typhoon line cards are 32 bit Freescale PPC CPUs (P4040 4 cores @ 1.5Ghz)

• The Ezchip Typhoon NPU is a 55nm 60Gbps (~45Mpps) rated Full Duplex NPU that feeds a 60Gbps Skytrain Fabric Interconnect ASIC which feeds a 220Gbps Sacramento Fabric Switching ASIC.

And right now my question is: Is the system capable of doing for example 90 Mpps (45 Mpps received from the local network and 45Mpps passed to the ISP), or not? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card