Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-X booting up problem due to heavy configuration

kozharov
Level 1
Level 1

Dear experts,

I’ll appreciate your comment and advice on the situation we've encountered recently.

Our customer’s ASR1001-X router worked just fine until it required rebooting due to maintenance activity.

The router refused to boot up (we guess it is due to heavy configuration file) and our customer managed to finally boot it up only in several hours, uploading configuration manually in small portions.

Here are some details:

• cisco ASR1001-X (1NG) processor (revision 1NG), 16G of physical memory, asr1001x-universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin
  • 7000+ active GRE tunnels and 7000+ bgp peers over these tunnels (mainly advertising default route and receiving small amount of specifics).

While ASR is running, “sh cpu” and “sh memory” are just fine (25% CPU) (5GB of free memory) with moderate traffic load (mostly telemetry).

After reboot we apparently experience the lack of resources and do see these type of messages:

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation

Pool: Processor  Free:  Cause: Memory fragmentation

Alternate Pool: Cause: No Alternate pool

%SYS-2-CHUNKEXPANDFAIL: Could not expand chunk pool for Packet Elements. No memory available -Process= "Chunk Manager"

%SYS-2-CFORKMEM: Process creation of BGP Open failed (no memory). -Process= "BGP Router",

etc.

We know that we are exceeding datasheet limits of ASR1001-X as due to the datasheet “Up to 4,000 tunnels GRE are supported” but it works fine under load, the problem is only during booting up.

The questions are:

• Is there any workaround to help ASR1001-X router booting up with this heavy configuration?

• What could be the recommended upgrade for current ASR1001-X, may be a shift to more powerful platform needed?

Unfortunately we can’t address this question to TAC because our service package is expired.

Also I’m under NDA and can’t upload full detailed config, logs, etc.

An upgrade to the latest software asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA has not helped.

Having second ASR1001-X is a clear option.

Thank you!

Mikhail

30 Replies 30

thomp
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread.  I have to wonder if remote boot or booting with a config that has all interfaces disabled and using a script the bring them up after boot wouldn't have been a good solution.  I've never done and haven't used scripting on the ASRs but I'm thinking it's probably possible.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card