Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001X throughput

giuliamingo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a ASR1001x and I have to do 3 uplinks to 3 providers using 3 embedded ports SFP.

My total traffic ingoing and outgoing is 6G, ins't it?

If so, do I have to upgrade the default throughput 2,5 Gbps to 10Gbps with license FLSA1-1X-2.5-10G?

Thank you very much

Giulia

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From what you described, the maximum needed forwarding performance would be only 3 Gbps.

BTW, no internal facing interface?  I.e. you're only peering with other providers?  If not, your single (?) inbound facing interface would, more or less, bottleneck performance.  I.e. if you had a 4th gig interface, in theory, if all interfaces were equally used, you would need up to 4 Gbps of forwarding performance, but if the one interface is internal, and if the 3 outside interfaces only have traffic to or from it, then you really only need about 2 Gbps forwarding performance.

Hi Joseph

thank you for your reply.

You sad that the total traffic is 3Gbps, why not 6Gbps (3Gbps ingoing plus 3Gbps outgoing)?

Is the default 2.5Gbps throughput the sum of ingoing traffic plus outgoing traffic or just outgoing traffic?

I.e. if I receive 1Gbps on one interface while I'm transmitting 1Gbps on the same interface, is the throughput 1Gbps or 2Gbps? With 3 interfaces would I have 3Gbps or 6Gbps? So in this case do I have to upgrade the license?

Thanks in advance

Giulia

Traffic is only forwarded once.  If you have 3 gig interfaces, you have 3 gig in, which is forwarded and becomes 3 gig out.

For the forgoing, in theory, the 2.5 Gbps license would be insufficient, if you actually run all 3 gig interfaces at 100%.  In practice, 2.5/3 is 83 and 1/3 %, likely enough.  If not, you should only need to upgrade to 5 Gbps license.

Ok thank you. I'm sorry, but i don't understand: aren't the interfaces SFP full-duplex? Why the interfaces can't receive and transmit simultaneously two traffic flow at 1Gbps (in and out)?

Thank you very much

Giulia

One thing Joseph's saying is that traffic entering one interface and exiting another is only counted once - for example, if the router only had two used interfaces, each receiving and sending at 1Gbps simultaneously, the total forwarding would be 2Gbps (not 4), because traffic entering one interface would have to be the same traffic exiting the other.

Assuming that your router doesn't do transit between providers, and that it has interfaces facing your internal network that can "cover" the total 3Gbps capacity towards your providers then yes, theoretically you could max the forwarding to 6Gbps.  But another thing Joseph's saying is that upload towards an Internet provider is usually significantly less than download, so you'll probably never reach those full 6Gbps.

On the other hand, if your router does transit between internal interfaces, that traffic counts too...

One thing Joseph's saying is that traffic entering one interface and exiting another is only counted once . . .

Correct, or to be a bit more precise, it's only forwarded once, from ingress to egress.

If you have 3 gig interfaces, you could have up to 3 gig of traffic entering the router that will need forwarding.  For example, ingress int 1 egresses int 2, ingress int 2 egresses int 3, ingress int 3 egresses int 1.  The maximum amount of traffic transiting the router is 3 gig although if you count in and out on all 3 gig interfaces, you'll count 6 gig of traffic.

Ok I understand.

thank you all for your patience

Giulia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco