Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1002 or cisco4451-X

bruno.fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

I need advice on choosing a platform for the following situation,

The router being selected are the ones to be at the HUB site, and they would handle the following scenarios...per router:

• Receiving at least 1000 routes from the main VPN
  • GRE backup tunnel to at least 150 spoke sites
  • The previous GRE tunnels might be protected by IPSEC....not really decided yet if tunnel termination would be or in Firewall in front of it, but the GRE would be terminated here
  • More than 150 BGP peers
  • Per GRE tunnel QoS policy (Parent child scenario, shaping + HQF)
  • The Sum of all aggregated WAN BW should be around 500Mbps ...for now

Is the 4451 sufficient for this requirements, I haven't seen any platform limits for this new router, and I'm afraid things like almost 200 BGP peer and per tunnel QoS could be too much for this platform to handle

Any comments ?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Bruno

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The Sum of all aggregated WAN BW should be around 500Mbps ...for now

4451-X should handle up to 600 Mbps of full duplex (simultaneous inbound & outbound traffic with encryption).  If you want to go higher than 600 Mbps then you'll potentially need to get another router.  

If you plan to increase your WAN bandwidth, say, in the next 3 years then getting an ASR 1002-X can also benefit because you can "unlock" the WAN speed.

Hi Leo,

From 4451 datasheet you can go up to 2Gbps starting at 1Gbps of forwarding performance !!! this gives me some margin to grow

And how about the more than 150 BGP peers (1000+ routes total) and per GRE tunnel QoS service-policy (150+ grew tunnels) ? Can the 4451 handle this numbers ? I don't see this limits anywhere :(

I do prefer the ASR-1002 because it's truly a Edge router .... but this is a small infrastructure (150+ spokes) and I do feel looking only at forwarding performance it 4451 could be sufficient, question marks on the BGP and QoS+GRE  stuff...but the price between both platforms is different !!!!

Thank's for your help,

Kind regards,

Bruno Fernandes

Thank's for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card