cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1006-X Standby RP Rebooting - Missing license suite

keithdavid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have an ASR-1006x with two RP3's running in SSO.  Recently, I changed the license suite to adventerprise and rebooted the standby RP3. Now, the standby RP3 is stuck in a boot loop and I receive the following error message when consoled into the Standby RP3:

image_application_init::Suite configuration failed Missing , and ; at end of the LICENSE_SUITE=

When consoled into the Active RP, I receive the following messages as the Standby RP is booting:

%IOSXE_OIR-6-ONLINECARD: Card (rp) online in slot R1

%REDUNDANCY-5-PEER_MONITOR_EVENT: Active detected a standby insertion (raw-event=PEER_FOUND(4))

%REDUNDANCY-5-PEER_MONITOR_EVENT: Active detected a standby insertion (raw-event=PEER_REDUNDANCY_STATE_CHANGE(5))

%CMRP-3-RP_RESET: R1/0: cmand: RP is resetting : remote RP requested exit of this RP

%IOSXE_OIR-6-OFFLINECARD: Card (rp) offline in slot R1

Immediately after these messages, the Standby RP3 reboots.  I removed the adventerprise license command from the Primary RP3 as this cause the issue so the Active RP3 is still up and running fine.

Is there a way to stop this boot loop so I can modify the config to not boot using the adventerprise suite without having to take down the Active RP?  

Is there a way to reset the Standby RP and then sync the config from the Active to Standby to correct this issue?  

Appreciate your help.

4 Replies 4

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @keithdavid 

Based on the error message you are receiving, it appears that the Standby RP3 is encountering an issue with the adventerprise license suite configuration.

To stop the boot loop and modify the configuration, you can try:

-- Power off the Standby RP3.

-- Boot the Active RP3 into ROM Monitor mode (reload and pressCtrl+C when prompted)

-- Set the configuration register to 0x2142 to bypass the startup configuration:

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142 rommon 2 > reset

-- Once the Active RP3 has booted up, it will have bypassed the startup configuration, allowing you to make changes to the configuration without affecting the operational state of the router.

-- Modify the configuration to remove the adventerprise license suite command from the Standby RP3's configuration.

-- Save the configuration changes and reload the router with the following command:

-- Reload

-- When prompted, enter 'yes' to save the modified configuration to NVRAM.

-- After the router has finished reloading, power on the Standby RP3 and allow it to synchronize with the Active RP3.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Thank you for the recommendation.  Just to be clear before I start this process I just want to be clear.

The Standby RP is the one stuck in boot loop.  The Active RP boots and comes online without issue.  I already removed the adventerprise suite command from the Active RP.  I rebooted the Standby RP hoping that the config from the Active would sync to the Standby, but it did not and the Standby is still in the boot loop.  Following your steps above you advise to:

--Power off the Standby RP3

--Booth the Active RP into ROM Monitor mode so I can make the changes to the config of the Active RP.

If I made the changes to the Active RP already, I'm assuming I can skip this step correct?

How do I remove the adventerprise license suite from the Standby RP'3s configuration if it is still powered off?  With the Active RP's configuration already corrected, it doesn't appear to be syncing to the Standby RP upon the Standby RP's power up.

Sorry for the confusion on my part, once again, I appreciate your assistance.

@keithdavid 

Thanks for the clarification. Based on your additional information, it seems that the configuration sync between the Active and Standby RP did not occur as expected during the reboot of the Standby RP. In this case, you can skip the step of booting the Active RP into ROM Monitor mode.

To remove the adventerprise license suite from the Standby RP's configuration:

-- On active RP do under config terminal [no license suite adventerprise]

-- Save [copy running-config startup-config]

-- Power off the Standby RP3.

-- Follow theses steps to reset the Standby RP to factory default settings:

-- Disconnect the Standby RP3 from power.

-- Hold down the Mode button on the front panel of the Standby RP3.

-- Reconnect the Standby RP3 to power while continuing to hold down the Mode button.

-- Wait until the RP_LED on the front panel of the Standby RP3 starts flashing green, which indicates that the RP is in ROMMON mode.

-- Release the Mode button and enter the following command:

boot

This should boot the Standby RP3 into ROMMON mode.

-- Enter the following command to erase the configuration:

erase nvram

-- Reload the Standby RP3:

reload

-- When prompted to confirm the reload, enter "y".

-- Wait for the Standby RP3 to boot up and enter configuration mode:

enable -- config terminal

-- Enter the following command to synchronize the configuration from the Active RP3:

redundancy force-switchover

This command should force a switchover to the Standby RP3, which should synchronize its configuration with the Active RP3.

-- Once the Standby RP3 has synchronized its configuration, you can configure the license suite to match the Active RP3 and reboot the Standby RP3:

license suite <license-suite> reload

If everything goes smoothly, the Standby RP3 should boot up normally and synchronize its configuration with the Active RP3.

-- Once the Standby RP has synchronized its configuration with the Active RP, verify that the adventerprise license suite is not present in the Standby RP's configuration:

show running-config license

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Thanks again for the help.  Unfortunately, I did not see a mode button on the RP3 module.  I did bring up the Standby RP3 by booting to Rommon, then pulling the Active RP3 from the ASR.  I then booted the Standby RP3 and it booted up without issue.  Once the bootup was complete, I removed the incorrect licensing commands, performed a write memory, and then added the Active RP3 back to the ASR.  As the Active RP3 booted up, I watched as it loaded and formed a peer relationship then formed redundancy with the Standby RP3.  Ultimately, I did have to take down the network for a few minutes to correct the issue, but at least the issue is now corrected and my RP3's are in an ACTIVE and STANDBY HOT status as they should be.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card