Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance setting up homelab network

bmabey
Level 1
Level 1

Good day everyone,

I recently acquired a cisco 3750v2 switch and a cisco 2951 router. I am also pretty new to networking. I have attempted many different things to get the functionality I desire, but I have been overthinking/don't understand enough this issue for too long, so I desire some assistance. Here is what I am trying to achieve: 

diagram.png

I successfully went through this tutorial, https://youtu.be/mBKpwmHk-fk, and got NAT working sort of. It works well but he adds a static NAT route to get his pc to talk to his switch. Like this:

ip nat inside source static 21.47.1.2 192.168.50.2

From my limited understanding of NAT, every time I were to add a new VM to the server and wanted to be able to reach it from my outside home network, I would have to create a new NAT static route for that device and assign it a new IP on my 192.168.50.0 network?

I am also wondering if NAT is the best way to do this. My home router is an ASUS GT-AX11000 which does allow me to add static routes. I haven't played around with that yet and don't know how to go about that.

Any guidance on how to get this to work is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Braden

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the Servers are required only Access Internall not required from externally.

then you have 2 Options :

1. depends on the config on the Lab router, you can just add routing (you do not need to NAT)

2. You going to do NAT when the traffic leaving your Home Router

3. as you mentioned you need to have static route 21.x.x.x point to lab router

4. Lab Server poing default route to 21.x.x.1 or 2 depends on what switch doing between.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card