cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance with ip prefix-list / route-map statement

Mike C
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if this ip prefix is effective or incorrectly written nor do I understand what the original goal of this statement is as I inherited the environment. The ip prefix-list DEFAULT seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 seems to override all. 

ip prefix-list DEFAULT seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 5 permit 10.40.45.0/28
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 10 permit 10.40.24.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 15 permit 10.1.27.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 20 permit 10.40.30.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 25 permit 10.60.200.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 30 permit 10.40.12.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 35 permit 10.40.90.0/24
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 40 permit 10.100.0.0/16
ip prefix-list STATIC seq 45 permit 10.120.0.0/16

route-map STATIC permit 5
match ip address prefix-list STATIC
route-map STATIC permit 10
match ip address prefix-list DEFAULT
service dhcp
ip dhcp relay

router eigrp WAN
autonomous-system 100
stub direct static summary
redistribute static route-map STATIC

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not have any detail to help us understand your environment and so is a bit difficult to say with certainty how effective the prefix lists and route map are. But on the surface they might be reasonable. Am I correct in assuming that this is implemented at a remote site which connects to some main site? Here are some things that I notice and assumptions that I am making:

- the site is running dynamic routing protocol EIGRP and declares that this site is a stub and not a regular site from which I guess that this is a remote site connecting to some main site.

- under router EIGRP they want to redistribute static routes and want to control exactly which static routes are redistributed.

- the first part of the route map specifies 9 specific static routes which are to be redistributed. Do those 9 static routes which are specified exist in the configuration? Are there other static routes in the configuration which are not specified in the prefix list?

- the second part of the route map specifies to redistribute a static default route? Is there a static default route in the configuration?

- a thing that does puzzle me (and perhaps suggests something in the configuration that may not be so reasonable) is that in a typical main site/remote site relationship the default route is frequently advertised from the main site to the remote site. In this case it appears that the remote site is advertising a default route to the main site.

- I am assuming that there are other EIGRP statements that you have not included, especially some network statements under router eigrp or some router eigrp statements under some interfaces to instruct EIGRP to run on some interfaces. Is that correct?

HTH

Rick

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what you mean by "overrides all" ? 

0.0.0.0/0 only matches the default route, not every route although if the next hop IP for the default is the same as for the more specific routes then not sure why the additional routes are there. 

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card