Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup of 1841 IOS and config

Greenchris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

Bit of a newbie here - I've managed to acquire an unwanted 1841. I want to configure this as a router and firewall for a small server room. I have limited IOS knowledge but would like to build this from the ground up.

The first question I have pertains to backing up what I've already got. I have the enable password so I'm in the interface, but this unit has come from a now-decommissioned site, and had quite a complex setup. I'd like to keep the setup for reference, but as I said, I'd like to start again. So I've stuck a USB stick in and I now have a backup of the following:

c1841-.....bin

startup-config

cwmp-inventory

underlying-config

(I don't know what the last two are for, or whether I need them - this will likely come up in a distant future conversation)

I was, for reasons I think I understand, unable to back up the following:

private-config

persistent-data

It is worth noting that the config register is currently 0x2002 - I don't know why.

So my first and foremost question is, can I now use erase nvram: AND change the config register to 2102 to do a factory reset?

Second - if I do that, can I put all these files back later and have the router exactly as it is now?

Third, although I don't intend to, if I erase the flash: can I put the bin file back later and get back to a factory reset?

I'd love to dive in and start tinkering with this but I want to be sure I have a backup first. Note that losing the config as it is now is not a major problem, but losing the IOS file is, as I do not have a support contract and therefore as far as I know, I can't replace it.

Thanks all for your help!

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It doesn't matter what order they are in as long as the files are in the CF and are not corrupt. 

It is worth noting that the config register is currently 0x2002 - I don't know why.

The correct value should be 0x2102.

Eject the CF and use a multi-card reader to copy the files off the CF and into your computer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card