Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Test

Hello

How can i test the bandwidth on two routers? There is one tool from cisco the TTCP but this is only avilable for providers. Is there any other tool for customers?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

You can use iperf for that: http://software.es.net/iperf/

But this is not running on the Cisco Routers. I need it for testing the connection between two routers

Then I assume that you are out of luck if your routers don't support ttcp. TTCP is not only for providers, but the support depends on the platform. For example it's available on the 2811 and 2911, but as far as I tested it, not on the smaller devices.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well, if TTCP isn't available (and it often isn't on many Cisco routers), depending on how hard you're trying to push the bandwidth, you might try a large ping series with maximum sizes.  Or, if the pair of routers support IP SLA, you might try something with that.  Or, one of the small-servers, I believe, supports CHARGEN (on other side you can use echo or discard).

Much better, though, as Karsten has already suggested is using an external traffic generator.  This has the advantage of letting the router do what it was designed for, forwarding traffic.

In my case, on PCs, I use PCATTCP.  To push most small WAN links, the UDP traffic generator works well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card