Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth utilization

Alan Herriman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I manage a site with several comanies under one roof and recently there has been a request to track bandwidth of each company's website. I know this isn't exactly a Cisco question, but maybe you all had some suggestion to accomplish. I guess I could track it by IP address, but I'm wondering if that is the best way.

Thanks in Advance!

6 Replies 6

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

webalizer

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

What is the governing reason for the requests?  Does mgt just want to see how much traffic is being transferred between server->clients or are they concerned over excessive bandwidth utilization and [possibly] would want to limit it?

I agree, a webalizer-type software package would suffice, but if you want to get into types of traffic so you can rate limit it, you can use Netflow and collect traffic stats

Sean

http://www.sleepyshark.com/about/sean-brown-professional-biography/

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Alan Herriman wrote:

Hello All,

I manage a site with several comanies under one roof and recently there has been a request to track bandwidth of each company's website. I know this isn't exactly a Cisco question, but maybe you all had some suggestion to accomplish. I guess I could track it by IP address, but I'm wondering if that is the best way.

Thanks in Advance!

Is each companys web site on a seperate server/port?

If they are, just graph the individual ports each web server is connected to with Cacti or MRTG using SNMP.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Unfortunately, some of the site share the same port, but they are natted to their own unique public IP address, so I think I will have to track some way based on IP address.

Thanks,

Alan

I am going to assume that the webservers are on the internal network and not an external hosting service?

Looks like your best choice is going to be webalizer-ing (?) your log files and running a bandwidth report by site...

Sean

Alan Herriman wrote:

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Unfortunately, some of the site share the same port, but they are natted to their own unique public IP address, so I think I will have to track some way based on IP address.

Thanks,

Alan

I have to agree with the other guys, then - webalize the server logs, or use netflow on the destination IP's to track the traffic.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: