Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question about Ping over WAN

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All ,

I am sorry to put my basic question in this topic but i am expecting to have clear idea and understanding about this and i am sure that I will be getting answer from this forum only.

I have data centre located in US and we have remote support from India. So we have almost all application hosted in US. Last week i had issue accessing one application from india.

When i tried to ping the same server where this mentioned application is hosted , ping response was around 300 msec.

when i complianed about this to service provider , they says that ping response is quite normal..

could you put light on this ?

how do i say this is quite normal response or not normal ..... i am sure , it this same response would have been in LAN ,..... it would not be normal but WAN..... I am confused,...

I need to understand ... ping response over WAN .... do we have any specified value for this ?

I hope , this ping echo request has to go through different AS numbers and different hops.... but what is normal value which i can say as a normal value.... in msec...

I am sorry again to ask this basic question ... but it would be really great to understand me properly..... 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vinod,

Of course it is a basic question but need to understand it in point of tecnical.
What I would suggest you is do a ping from your offshore to US DC in a normal hours (when everything is working fine like no user complaints  and all applications are accessing as it is). Take that ms in your records say 200 ms (Reply from 10.10.10.1: bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=120) and you can compare this ms (ping response) when you have a slow access issues. So if you ms than 200 which is in your record then you can comlaint to your service provider saying this ms is very high where the normal ms is 200 ms.

And Of course if you see a high ms in ping reply then you must check the link utilization and router resource utilization (CPU, MEM) as these things will be check when you are getting high ping response.

And You can check the tracert to your us DC server from offshore India so that you can know how the packet is going and how many hops it is touching.

Hope I clear you...

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

When using the Internet, you have little say in choosing a path.

300ms sounds like there may be a satellite or radio link involved in the communication path.

Or your traffic may be rerouted over Europe or via Asia.

This is not unusual on trans-continental connections.

regards,

Leo

Hi Vinod,

Of course it is a basic question but need to understand it in point of tecnical.
What I would suggest you is do a ping from your offshore to US DC in a normal hours (when everything is working fine like no user complaints  and all applications are accessing as it is). Take that ms in your records say 200 ms (Reply from 10.10.10.1: bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=120) and you can compare this ms (ping response) when you have a slow access issues. So if you ms than 200 which is in your record then you can comlaint to your service provider saying this ms is very high where the normal ms is 200 ms.

And Of course if you see a high ms in ping reply then you must check the link utilization and router resource utilization (CPU, MEM) as these things will be check when you are getting high ping response.

And You can check the tracert to your us DC server from offshore India so that you can know how the packet is going and how many hops it is touching.

Hope I clear you...

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

One of the "things" that account for latency times, as seen with ping, is physical distance.  It's a long way from the US to India (and back), and the actual physical path isn't generally a straight line.  300 ms doesn't seem unusual for that distance.

PS:

BTW, more bandwidth does not solve this problem.  The most effective solution is have access to resources that are closer, ideally at LAN distances.  Next best solution is a special WAAS/WAFS appliance which tries to minimize the need to use the WAN link.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card