Replies

Best Router for home

pquinn1212
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I looking for a cisco router for home,

I want to implement ipv4 and ipv6,

Im not to fussed about wireless as i will be using a unifi for this.

I on Fibre so VDSL is needed.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks

10 Replies 10

RobRobert
Level 1
Level 1
Whats your budget?

not thinking too much going to look at 2nd hand one so maybe £150-£250

if its only for practice fine but low end routers only support low end wan connections , most houses would have fast broadband these days , if you have like a 50mb each way line or higher you need a decent router to support it to get that speed ,

that budget is very low but I see you could get a refurb model 891 for around that cost

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_productid=691217590&rt=nc&_pmc=true&_sop=15&isRefine=true&LH_ItemCondition=2500%7C2000&sl_ready=true&_fosrp=1

In $ would be able 250-300 i could afford, i currently get about 80Mb

you wont get 80mb each way on that router maybe 25 - 50 after services are turned on , the more you use the less it will cope with wan speed , such as NAT /Encryption etc but it will have generally all  the features of a core router for training

second hand 1921 would cover that speed , larger router not really home based though , you want to look for a SOHO router but that would work better

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_odkw=cisco+2921+refurb&_from=R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcisco+1921+refurb.TRS0&_nkw=cisco+1921+refurb&_sacat=07C2000&sl_ready=true&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR...

Mainly looking for a cisco because i have been doing my ICND1 and wouldnt mind using, will the 2900 be powerful enough ?

Not to fussed about the size and it will be out of the way

personally I would go 1921 as its newer than 2921 that's eol now , the emulators like Cisco Virl and GNS3 work just fine for routing too for training , they have all the features and requirements for layer 3 , some just don't work well with switching but if your training id advise you to get something like Cisco VIRL , so you can have up to 20 routers/switches in a lab , when your on the cli there is no difference as when on actual hardware as there running full software images and they wont run your electricity bill up

Hi,

I would look at the 2901. It is gives you the option of doing routing, security, voice and is fairly cheap second hand.  A 2911 gives you more options in terms of modules you  can add but is very noisy for a home environment.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

RobRobert
Level 1
Level 1
A refurb 891 will be a good choice for your budget.

Hi

You could buy an used Cisco Router 2801/11/21/51, they support IPv6 as well, but also take in consideration that some additional features are available on specific IOS, or consider Cisco VIRL https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC41WuzXlJCGY5qLsuZ8aHkQ

Hope it is useful

:-) 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card