cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BFD for RIP on a 3850?

ckronk
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up BFD between some 3850s and Juniper firewalls and we're using RIP. I'm looking at the BFD configuration guide and it doesn't have a section on configuring RIP. We currently have BFD setup using OSPF and it seems that you have an option of enabling it per interface or by using the bfd all-interfaces command inside the OSPF instance.

There is no interface command for BFD for RIP, just ip ospf bfd on the interfaces. I see that I can enter bfd all-interfaces in the RIP instance on the 3850. Will this activate BFD on interfaces using RIP and configured with the session information on the interface and will it interfere with the current BFD implementation for OSPF?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Yes looks like its not supported under interface level at all , this is what the routing command specifically does below , i have not tested it as we use EIGRP everywhere

bfd all-interfaces

Example:

Router(config-router)# bfd all-interfaces

Enables BFD on all interfaces associated with the routing process.

RIPv2 registers with BFD and creates sessions for the neighbor when RIP updates are received. New neighbors are automatically enabled for BFD when the update packets are received.

Note Alternatively, you can use the neighbor ip-address bfdcommand to enable BFD for a specific RIP neighbor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Yes looks like its not supported under interface level at all , this is what the routing command specifically does below , i have not tested it as we use EIGRP everywhere

bfd all-interfaces

Example:

Router(config-router)# bfd all-interfaces

Enables BFD on all interfaces associated with the routing process.

RIPv2 registers with BFD and creates sessions for the neighbor when RIP updates are received. New neighbors are automatically enabled for BFD when the update packets are received.

Note Alternatively, you can use the neighbor ip-address bfdcommand to enable BFD for a specific RIP neighbor.

This shouldn't interfere with the OSPF implementation on those routers, should it? All the interfaces besides the 2 or 3 using RIP are set to passive as well. The RIP side is not as important as the OSPF to us, but it would still be useful because of fiber taps.

It should not effect OSPF enabled interfaces but i would test it in a mw window to be sure , BFD can be setup in protocol environment with IGP or standalone but the way that RIP supports it looks like it could only effect RIP enabled interfaces and when an interface is in passive state from memory i thought BFD can only work when an interface is up and enabled unpassified

That's the plan. We have one scheduled and we have console access of course, should anything decide to go too far South. Thanks for the help.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card