Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP aggregate-address suppress-map behaviour

lunar_rover
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been working on some tweaks to our BGP setup, and wondered if anyone else could confirm some behaviour I've noticed.

When using the aggregate-address command with a suppress-map, it would seem that if you match prefixes to be suppressed using a prefix-list, the suppress-map doesn't work, but if you use an access-list to match the prefixes with the same route-map, it does!

Also, when a suppress-map is in operation - would one normally expected to see the prefixes being suppressed in the local bgp table marked with an "s", similar to how they are when using the "summary-only" syntax on an aggregate-address, or not?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments.

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Please post the access-list and the corresponding prefix-list. A listing of the related prefixes and  relevant config may be helpful as well.

This info will enable us to check for possible configuration issues.

regards,

Leo

Hi, thanks for replying, was just about to delete discussion as this was user (me) error.

Both access-list and prefix-list work fine as the matching criteria for the suppress-map.

Also prefixes matched by the suppress-map do get marked with "s" in the bgp table.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time.

Yeah, I already expected some kind of user error.

In most cases it is preferred to use prefix-lists over acl's.

Good that you found the problem yourself.

regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card