cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP ASN number change

atrevido43
Level 1
Level 1

My ISP mistakenly gave me a duplicate ASN for one of my sites.  So 2 sites have the same ASN - lets say 45009.  One site should be 45010 and the other 45009.  THe ISP has assigned me the new number but wants to schedule a "cutover".  I thought I would just make the change on my router and then do a #clear ip bgp *

Although it just occurred to me that I'd probably lose connectivity to the router as I'll be doing this remotely.  I could probably do a reload in 5 command or have someone on site.

Thoughts?

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dawn,

The ISP will need to change their neighbor statement to you also, which is why they may want to do a cut. Even if you changed your end, they'll need to change the AS that they're peering with. Until they do that, your peering wouldn't come up.

As far as changing your config, you wouldn't be able to change this remotely unless you have a backup circuit into the site. That being said, you can change your startup config. What I would do is to tftp their current running config, modify it to the new asn, and then tftp it back to the startup config. Then reload the router. The router will come up with the new config, but you'll still probably want to have someone onsite in case something doesn't work as expected.

HTH,

John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hello

It is possible to use the existing AS and use the proper AS also but only as an interim, it is usually suggested to change to the proper AS when applicable.

router bgp 45009

neigbour 1.1.1.1 remote-AS 1234

neigbour 1.1.1.1 local-as 45010 no-prepend replace-as

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

what about configuring a default route on the remote router pointing to the provider router and connecting to the remote router WAN IP address from your PC?

The WAN subnet should be advertised by the provider router, shouldn't it?

So you should be able to keep your connection to the router even when the BGP peering is down, shouldn't you?

And to reconfigure the BGP AS number without any problem except of the remote LAN losing the conectivity for a while?

Best regards,

Milan

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

When I have been in situations like this I've used EEM applets.

Configure the applet to watch for the Syslog message that the neighbor went down and then to issue the proper commands to reconfigure the BGP configuration

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/

PeterGr
Level 1
Level 1

I know this post is very old, but do you remember how you ended up changing the BGP ASN number?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card