Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Authentication with two RR routers

msaltunsaray
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me that how do we configure BGP authentication with two RR routers?

Same AS, IBGP peering...

My RRs are 7301.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

That is great, yes if you apply the authentication into the template it will be applied to all the peers involved into the template, now my suggestion is do that into an authorized maintenance windows because you could lose connectivity with remote peers. 

Please check this link:

http://hackingcisco.blogspot.com/2011/05/lab-137-bgp-peer-templates.html

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi

The authentication method between to BGP peers is using the command: password, for example:

router bgp 100

neighbor 1.1.1.1 remote-as 100

neighbor 1.1.1.1 password CISCO.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Actually I meant to do this with RR.

Is the configuration same?

Hi,

Yes, it is the same, there is no other way to authenticate BGP peers. 

If you are using address-family is the same way as well. 

Is there a way to configure it under cluster instead configuring for each peering?

Yes, there is a way but if you are already using Peer-groups or templates, for example:

Imagine you are creating the initial configuration for your iBGP peerings:

RR server

router bgp 1

no syn

no auto-summary

neighbor PEER peer-group

neighbor PEER remote-as 1

neighbor PEER password CISCO

neighbor PEER route-reflector-client

neighbor PEER update-source loopback0

neighbor 1.1.1.1 peer-group PEER

neighbor 2.2.2.2 peer-group PEER

neighbor 3.3.3.3 peer-group PEER

Now each RR client must create the peering with the RR server with the same password, peer-groups is not required on the client unless you have more than one RR Server in order to avoid many lines.

I have "template peer session IBGP"

template peer-session IBGP
remote-as XXX
description IBGP Peerings
update-source Loopback0
exit-peer-session
!

If I write authentication under this template, would it be done for all my IBGP peers?

Hi,

That is great, yes if you apply the authentication into the template it will be applied to all the peers involved into the template, now my suggestion is do that into an authorized maintenance windows because you could lose connectivity with remote peers. 

Please check this link:

http://hackingcisco.blogspot.com/2011/05/lab-137-bgp-peer-templates.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card