Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP fast-external-fallover vs BFD

Ravi Pande
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was studying on bgp performance and I came across "bgp fast-external-fallover" and BFD. I am confused because both achieve the exact same thing. Could anyone please let me know when we should "bgp fast-external-fallover" over BFD or vice versa.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

BFD can be tweak to failover in millseconds for route convergence with the added benefit it can be applied to most of the routing protocols so isn’t tied to any one.

Where’s as BGP fast-failover can work on just the router you apply it to, BFD needs to be applied to all directly connected neighbors/peers

Fast-failover is specific to the bgp protocol and only is subject to the loss of ebgp peers, Its has a related feature named "neigbour fall-over" which will accommodate both ebgp/Ibgp loss and if associated with low bgp hold times it can provide a quick response to a bgp link failure, However both features can be dependent on bgp's under lying routing protocol to also converge quickly especially  regards any of its non direct ebgp (loopback) and ibgp peers.

You could then if you wish implement both of these bgp/bfd features to work in tandem for a faster route convergence and failover.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card