Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp implement

bhornilesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if I’m going to implement BGP (EBGP & IBGP) in my office. So is it necessary requiring IGP reachability?.

Could you pls. anyone help me?.

Thanks,

Nilesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nilesh

The basic requirement is that there is IP reachability and connectivity between peers and for any next hop address in an advertisement from any peer. Frequently an IGP is the easy way to achieve this. But the IGP is not required if you can establish reachability without it.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Yes, if you have multiple offices with a router running BGP at each office then they need to be able to reach the other BGP routers IP addresses to be able to peer with them.

But this should happen anyway ie. i assume at the moment all your offices are connected via a WAN ?

Be aware also that BGP is only a solution in certain circumstances. Without knowing more it's difficult oto say whether it is a good fit for your requirements. For example if each office only has one exit point onto the WAN there is usually little need to implement BGP.

Jon

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

CiscoIsInYou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shaz,

Thank u so much share this link with me. if i'm having any query...i will post u message.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nilesh

Not sure what you mean but if you mean do you need an IGP between your EBGP/IBGP routers then

the answer is not necessarily although it is usually recommended. If you don't you need a full mesh between your IBGP routers or you need to use route reflectors to overcome the issue of an IBGP router not advertising a route learnt from a BGP neighbor to another IBGP peer.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry becoz. i did not post proper my query.

See, we have 10 offices on multiple places & i want to run BGP protocol for Peering, Route selection & Route manipulation.

If i'm going to run BGP protocol on my Router before that i need my neighbor reachability via IGP.?

Now I hope you understand.

Yes, if you have multiple offices with a router running BGP at each office then they need to be able to reach the other BGP routers IP addresses to be able to peer with them.

But this should happen anyway ie. i assume at the moment all your offices are connected via a WAN ?

Be aware also that BGP is only a solution in certain circumstances. Without knowing more it's difficult oto say whether it is a good fit for your requirements. For example if each office only has one exit point onto the WAN there is usually little need to implement BGP.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'm doing BGP study. So i have few queries.

Could you  pls. give me details. when should i implement BGP on my Router & when shouldn't i implement BGP on my Router.

Okay, i'll leave out MBGP (Multiprotocol BGP) which is primarily used in an MPLS VPN environment to exchange VPN routes between PE devices. This is a specific use but i'll cover the more obvious uses of BGP generally.

I will also be covering it primarily from a non-ISP perspective ie. ISPs use BGP to exchange routes and influence traffic coming in out/going out of their AS. They have to use BGP. But for a business it may well be different.

BGP as you say is used to influence traffic paths so it really depends on whether you have multiple paths for the traffic to take. Like i said, if you only have one exit point from your network there is little use for BGP because there is nothing really to influence ie. to get in or out of your network you go the same way.

Where BGP becomes useful is if you have multiple exit points from your network and you want certain traffic to go one way and certain traffic to go the other. Then you can use things such as local preference/weight/MED to influence not only how traffic leaves your network but also how traffic enters your network. BGP gives you the ability to advertise your routes with certan attributes attached and is it primarily this functionality that allows you to direct traffic via different paths.

BGP is however a complex protocol so it should only really be used when it is needed ie. if yu only have one path out of your network then you could run BGP but why bother when a simple default-route in your IGP would achieve the same thing with a lot less configuration.

Jon

Thanks Jon for ur response. :-)

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nilesh

The basic requirement is that there is IP reachability and connectivity between peers and for any next hop address in an advertisement from any peer. Frequently an IGP is the easy way to achieve this. But the IGP is not required if you can establish reachability without it.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply..

you mean, if i'm running BGP protocol on my router before that my all the Router should reachable via IGP protocol?

I'm right or wrong?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card