Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP inject-map/advertise-map and VRFs

lbjwusatx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a requirement to advertise more specific BGP ranges from learned routes for multi-home load balancing improvements and was intending to use an advertise-map or inject-map to perform this. The prefixes are originated elsewhere in the network and we advertise them at our borders

However, this seems to be unavailable if your neighbours are declared inside a VRF.

For example, bgp inject-map cannot be declared inside the VRF address-family and the advertise-map command cannot be specified after the neighbour if you are in the address-family ipv4 vrf abc.

Can anyone shed any light on if this is by design and if by design why and then what else I might do short of originating the lower prefixes from elsewhere.

I'm using 15.0(1)M on 7200-NPE-G1.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

lbjwusatx
Level 1
Level 1

Here's an example.

router(config-router-af)#neighbor 1.2.3.4 ?

activate                 Enable the Address Family for this Neighbor

advertisement-interval   Minimum interval between sending BGP routing updates

allowas-in               Accept as-path with my AS present in it

router(config-router)#neighbor 1.2.3.4 ?

activate                 Enable the Address Family for this Neighbor

advertise-map            specify route-map for conditional advertisement

advertisement-interval   Minimum interval between sending BGP routing updates

This seems to indicate that VRF aware conditional advertisment only became available in 15.3(3)M?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/15-s/irg-15-s-book/irg-vrf-conditional-adv.html

Was it available in 12.x?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card