Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Multipath ISSUE

Bhardwajp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All ,

We have 2 INTERNET links and both are active and doing Multipath for the auto load balancing.

My primary link is working fine and can see input and output traffic on that interface.

However on my secondary link i can only see the output traffic but input traffic is zero.

Can someone suggest what can be the issue here and if this might impacting the services like internet or voice.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the limited information you've provided, can only say, in general, your primary link path is considered the best and/or single BGP path to your Internet IP(s).  Likely your secondary link path might accept ingress traffic if the primary link failed.

What you might do, to use both links for ingress, would depend on whether there's one ISP or two different ISPs on those links, and often cooperation from your ISP(s) to use both links.

If your public IP allocation is larger than a /24, you might also have the option to have your links preferred for different /24s.

As to might whether your current situation might impact Internet and/or voice, well often two links provide more aggregate bandwidth, supporting both traffic types better, but if your overall primary link's ingress usage is low, taking advantage of the secondary link might make little difference.

use prepend or MED to make the secondary Link also receive traffic from the ISP router. 

When running BGP multipath is about outbound traffic. You tell us "on my secondary link i can only see the output traffic" so it sounds like multipath is working.

Inbound traffic from the second ISP depends on what you are advertising to them. Can you provide some details of your BGP configuration?

If there would be a problem with your primary ISP does traffic fail over and use the second ISP ok? Or is there a problem if the primary has an issue?

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card