cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP neighbor UP/DOWN time is different with the show loggin. How can it be possible ?

Gaurav Saini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

We got one notification from our monitoring tool that BGP peer is down. Immediately I jumped in the problem and captured some logs. Where "show logging" command show BGP Neighbor went down few minutes back, though "show ip bgp summary" shows it's down since 1 week and 1 day. How can it be possible ??

Jan 29 02:32:51.204: %BGP_SESSION-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 94.102.1XX.XXX IPv4 Unicast topology base removed from session NSF peer closed the session
Jan 29 02:32:51.204: %BGP-5-NBR_RESET: Neighbor 94.102.1XX.XXX reset (NSF peer closed the session)
Jan 29 02:32:51.204: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 94.102.1XX.XXX Down NSF peer closed the session
UDVCGR01#
UDVCGR01#
UDVCGR01#show ip bgp su | i 94.102.1XX.XXX
94.102.1XX.XXX 4 77XX 0 0 1 0 0 1w1d Active
UDVCGR01#
UDVCGR01#show clock
03:12:37.394 IST Fri Jan 29 2016
UDVCGR01#

UDVCGR01#show ver | i image
System image file is "bootflash:asr1000rp2-adventerprisek9.03.13.02.S.154-3.S2-ext.bi"
UDVCGR01#

Automatically Neighbor came up after 40+ minutes. Please share some info.

We're checking for RFO with provider.

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It says the peer closed the session, so I would be waiting for an answer to come back from them.

[@p.dath]  

That's correct buddy, but my question was, how come BGP neighbour-ship is showing it's down since more than a week ?? though it's went down few minutes ago ?

//

Gaurav

I'm not sure.  I think what it is saying is how long it has been (or rather was) up.  Not how long it has been down.

Ok, No worries. But have you ever seen this kind of situation ?

With BGP neighbours going down?  Sure.  People have circuit issues, router issues, software issues, but 90% of the time - human issues.

No No. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

What I meant was, situation like BGP just went down (say 5-10 minutes back as per logs in `show logging` command but it's shows that particular neighbor is down since weeks in `show ip bgp neighbor` command. though it was up 15 minutes ago.

I'm not sure sorry.  If the router has the correct time on it, I would trust the logged messages over the output of the BGP neighbour summary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco