Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - preferring inbound link

carl.townshend
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We have a site with BGP to 2 providers from our AS for the Internet connection.

At the moment, we have no attributes set on the inbound traffic from the internet, we will be upgrading one of the links to 10G and we only want traffic to route in and out of that link.

From an inbound perspective, what are our choices? would it just be to prepend the AS path multiple times on the least preferred inbound path? are there any other methods to supress the route?

On the outbound side, I will use local pref or weight

Cheers

8 Replies 8

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @carl.townshend,

To control inbound traffic from the internet to your site, you have a few options, including [1]AS path prepending, [2]community tagging, and [3]BGP MED values.

[1]You can prepend your AS path multiple times on the least preferred inbound path. By making the AS path longer on one of the links, you can influence inbound traffic to prefer the other link. However, this method is not always effective as some ISPs may not consider AS path length as the sole criteria for route selection.

[2]If your upstream providers support it, you can use community tags to signal your preferences for inbound traffic. You can ask your providers to honor specific community tags and use them to manipulate route selection. For example, you can tag routes from one provider with a specific community and ask the other provider to prioritize or de-prioritize those routes based on the community tag.

[3]You can use BGP MED values to influence inbound traffic. By assigning lower MED values to routes received from the preferred provider and higher MED values to routes received from the other provider, you can influence inbound traffic to prefer the lower MED routes. However, this method relies on your upstream providers honoring the MED values and may not always be effective.

--Note that the effectiveness of these methods can vary depending on how your upstream providers implement their routing policies. It's recommended to coordinate with your providers to understand their capabilities and discuss the best approach for influencing inbound traffic.

Regarding outbound traffic, using local preference or weight is a common method. You can assign a higher local preference value or weight to the desired outbound route, which will make it more preferred by your BGP router when selecting the best path for outbound traffic. Weight BGP is specific to Cisco devices.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi, I was thinking on these lines also.

Which one do you think will be a more reliable solution, I would have thought AS path prepending a few times on the slower path. I don't think MED will really work as we have 2 different ISP's on different routers?

We only receive default routes from both ISP's.

@carl.townshend,

AS-PATH is the good one for this case.

Prepend twice your AS-PATH should be good.

Best regards

@carl.townshend 

I double my side.

You can work with your providers to implement BGP communities. Communities are tags attached to BGP routes that allow you to specify certain policies or preferences. By using communities, you can signal your preferences to your providers, such as preferring one link over another for inbound traffic.

With a specific community your AS-PATH could be prepend on the provider side.

However, this method requires coordination and support from your providers.

Best regards

As-path prepend good choice'

With same or different ISP' just test if ISP not have policy to remove private AS 

also what you receive is effect inbound traffic not outbound traffic.

hi, it will be public as not private, we have own own AS number

Public as' that good 

go ahead use as prepend 

But use same as (your as) multi times

MED is one AS far' i.e. it effect only direct next AS 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card