Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Question

benolyndav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

We have a pair of Nexus 5k in VPC domain and these connect to a x2 stack switch through a vPC, the stack switch is already runnig BGP where we peer with ISP

if I were to configure BGP Between nexus 1 & 2 and Stack Switch  would I use ibgp or ebgp ??

also if ebgp would I need a different BGP AS number on both nexus devices so e.g Nexus01 BGP 64967  Nexus01 BGP 64968, 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the additional information. We do not know what you will be doing in SDN and that might impact our advice. But based on what we know at this point I continue to believe that you want IBGP.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you run BGP between devices in your own network (such as Nexus to stack switch) it is usual to run IBGP. There might be some circumstance where you would use EBGP but I do not see anything in your description that suggests EBGP would be used. So pending any further information I suggest you use IBGP.

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard

Thanks for that appreciated,  this is needed for a new SDN deployment and we told a requirment is to have BGP between Nexus and Core ,

Thanks for the additional information. We do not know what you will be doing in SDN and that might impact our advice. But based on what we know at this point I continue to believe that you want IBGP.

HTH

Rick

Hello

@benolyndav wrote:

Hi

We have a pair of Nexus 5k in VPC domain and these connect to a x2 stack switch through a vPC, the stack switch is already runnig BGP where we peer with ISP

if I were to configure BGP Between nexus 1 & 2 and Stack Switch  would I use ibgp or ebgp ??  <  it will be ibgp

also if ebgp would I need a different BGP AS number on both nexus devices so e.g Nexus01 BGP 64967  Nexus01 BGP 64968, < I would say it would be unusual to have differing ASNs up/running at a singe site , even so the Nks will be in the same ASN either way paring as IBGP 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card