Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Route-Map question

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Hello

I'm currently working on creating a route-map for a BGP configuration and am stumped.

I have two different routers behaving the same way so that's the confusing part.

I'm trying to apply a route-map in the following fashion;

router bgp 65004

neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate route-map commchg out

However when I get to "out" it bombs and only gives <CR> as the next possible option.  No IN or OUT.  What could be causing this?                  

Thanks,
Adam

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

you probably should write two separate statements

neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map commchg out

The way you write it leads IOS to think you want to use a route-map not for filtering to/from the neighbor, but to conditionally advertise a default route depending on route-map result. This is the reason why the in /out is not available to you.

Confirmed

see command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/command/bgp-m1.html#GUID-4A235C24-1F90-4C3C-881D-0A3550C29CD6

neighbor {ip-address | peer-group-name} default-originate [route-map map-name]

route-map                                                                                                                                                                      map-name

(Optional) Name of the route map. The route map allows route 0.0.0.0 to be injected conditionally.      

You can eventually use two different route-maps one to conditionally advertise the default route and the second one to decide what you are sending to the neighbor  ( remember to allow the default route in this route-map)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card