Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP with VRF

N3om
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Router where we peer with Service Provider using BGP, is it possible to add extra VRFs to our Network without using a BGP peering can I have static VRF set up and leave the existing BGP peering for our staff Networks as is, if so what is this called and how to configure this please.??

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Can you more elaborate

MHM

@MHM Cisco World 

Yes so currently have a BGP perring with SP where we advertise all our Lan subnets using Prefix-list to SP via our LAN VRF,  i was wondering if I could create 2 VRFs and not use te prefix-list to advertise to SP but use a static VRF to SP for these new subnets.?

Thanks

Hello
if you only have a single peering session at present to the isp then no you cannot have multiple vrfs ebgp peerings , unless that is you negotiate this with your isp and have the relative bw to support multiple segregated connections

TBH what is your end goal here -you mention lan vrff-staff networks and new subnets 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver 
I was under the impression that we could do a ststic route vrfs which wouldnt impact on the BGP Peering.?

Any static route need add in one router in path between two points need to also add in all and any routers in that path.

I.e. SP PE and ISP P's need also static route

MHM

Hello
At present have a single ISP ebgp peering for external connectivity, which is carrying all your internal lan traffic, What is it you are you wanting to achieve,

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello @N3om ,

each VRF would need a separate logical link ie. a different VLAN based subif on PE-CE link  and it would require cooperation of SP on the PE nodes.

if all you need is to create an aggregate route for new subnets you don't need a second VRF but just a summary  route to be advertised to the PE node on existing eBGP peer.

It really depends on your requirement and your goal.

If your SP provides you an MPLS L3 VPN you cannot add a VRF only from CE side and to make it reachable on remote sites. You would need to work with SP for this to work.

Edit:

if you need to build a connectivity between two VRF sites without involving other sites you can use a p2p GRE tunnel between CE nodes. Again it depends on what you want to achieve.

@Giuseppe Larosa 

Yes SP do use MPLS, we have a trunk to SP Router where we peer with SP va BGP using a Vlan, they have said we can create a transport vlan and add the SVI to the vrf ourside, the vlan is then used to route to SP and the encapsaltion will match their sub-interface where they then have end to end vrf for the subnet, we can then repeat this for the other new subnet.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card