cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot image failover on 881G?

DavidBreeden
Level 1
Level 1

We deploy 881G routers at our store locations and are planning to upgrade the IOS to 15.2.2.  One concern we have is if the router fails to boot to the new image.  Is there a way to configure a second boot image as a failover in case the primary boot image does not load?  Our current DR plan is to have a laptop on site that we can connect to remotely and setup a console session to manually change the boot file.  This can be cumbersome and time consuming, so I'm wondering if the 881 has the ability to have another file loaded if the boot fails.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

I don't have an 881, but there are 2 things that you should be able to do:

boot system flash:/

boot system flash:/

Or you can use just one "boot system flash" and if the router doesn't boot from that for some reason, it will look in the local filesystem to try to boot the next available image.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

Hi David,

We can place two IOS images in flash,if the flash having enough memory. And we will configure manually to boot the router with the one of the IOS in flash with the command mentioned below.

R1(config)# boot system flash:<IOS name>

If it is int case of Ios was corrupted or ios was not avaiable that we mentioned in the boot system command, the router automatically boot from the next availble which is in flash.

Hope this info will helps you..

Regards,

Janardhan

---

Posted by WebUser Janardhan Rao Meesala from Cisco Support Community App

Thank you both for your help.  I had set it up with the "boot system flash " and figured it would fail over to the second image loaded in flash if there was a problem, but I wasn't sure if the 881 had a separate way of specifying a failover image.

but I wasn't sure if the 881 had a separate way of specifying a failover image.

Of course you can.

You can multiple boot statement and the router will read the boot statement from top to bottom.  If the first one fails to load/boot then the router will go to the next boot statement.

If your router has a USB port then you can add this into the mix as well.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card