cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BRI is up, spoofing

voiper_99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am a little confused when it comes to BRI/PRI sppofing itself.

I found this information on another forum:

"The layer 2 protocol does not have a peer to communicate with when there is no phone call / connection established. Normally, the absence of a layer 2 peer would cause the protocol to go 'down.'

Here, "spoofing" infers that they layer 2 protocol is being 'fooled' internally to think that there is a connection to a peer when in fact there is no connection, because there hasn't been any phone call placed yet.

When you establish the connection, the 'spoofing' should go away because a real layer 2 peer will now be available to keep the protocol 'up.'"

My question is, why does the layer 2 protocol need to be 'fooled' in the first place? What would be the problem if the layer 2 protocol knew that the line protocol was down?

My thought is that perhaps it would think that the connection is broken therefore unusable which in turn would ruin the idea of using it as a dial backup. Is that at all correct?

15 Replies 15

Valdir

Georg makes good suggestions. The output of show version and of the running config will give us a better understanding of your environment. In addition I would ask that you post the output of show ip interface brief and of show interface. Also can you tell us about the physical connection of the router interface? What does it connect to and what kind of physical connection is it? Can you post what the provider has given to you about how they have provisioned that interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card