Views
Helpful
Replies

Broken 3550

alliasneo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I think my 3550 has just become a very expensive paper weight.

It's been working fine but I swiched it on this morning and the System LED light stays Amber and so does port FA0/1 - all others are green. I have tried to Console in but I get nothing back on my connection. I've tried Putty and Teraterm.

I've had a look around on the Internet and it looks like it's a failed POST which most likely indicates a Hardware failure. My question is, does anyone have any suggesions for things I can try?

I've tried holding down 'Mode' when booting but that doesn't do anything. The Amber LED for 'System' is almost instant when I plug the switch in.

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, by the sounds of it, things aren't too healthy. Here is a document and describes the troubleshooting you could do to potentially solve the problem. It also confirms that the LED as amber means that POST has failed or was unsuccessful.

Page 52 and other pages in this document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/hardware/installation/guide/35HIGBK.pdf

Hope this helps.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi, Thanks for the response.

I've tried rebooting with the console connected but I get nothing at all. I've opened up my COM connection, unplugged the switch and plugged it back in but no output is displayed.

I've opened the switch up and looked at the capacitors but they all look fine. I can't see any physic damage to the motherboard at all.

I even tried unplugging the fan and then booting up but still nothing - All I get is the Sys light amber and port FA0/1 amber almost immediately after booting.

Any other suggestions or have I reached the end?

Thanks

Hello, I would raise a TAC case, seems like your switch is dead and crippled.

You must have a valid service contract to be able to log a RMA request with TAC. Then hopefully you will be notified of the process in getting a replacement.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html#business

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card