cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C881 Router stuck in recovery mode?

Shanej9001
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a Cisco C881-K9 router. Older end of life model. Surplus equipment. I had plans to brush up on my IOS config skills. It appears to be stuck in IOS recovery mode by looking at the errors below:

boot: cannot determine first executable file name ondevice "flash:"

% No valid customer configuration file found

% Aborting loading of customer configuration

There is no running startup config. I've erased it and done a reload without success. I've attached the console log below.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

thanks for the update. I don't like giving up on stuff, but the EoL date for this device is 2014, so chances are your router is >10 years old. Which most likely means that indeed it is broken.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

did you try the password recovery procedure (link below) ? I am afraid that is your last option, if that doesn't help, the router is most likely bricked...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/800-series-routers/12065-pswdrec-827.html

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try and ended up with the same result. It appears the unit is bricked.

Thanks for your help anyhow.

Hello,

thanks for the update. I don't like giving up on stuff, but the EoL date for this device is 2014, so chances are your router is >10 years old. Which most likely means that indeed it is broken.

Reset Button pressed during boot up

if this is not your doing, then maybe the reset button is stuck?

Good suggestion! I thought that might have been it. I just push cycled the little button a few times. I can hear the clicking when I depress it so I'm pretty sure now the unit is bricked. 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shane

Yeah I hate to give up on this also. It was a given to me free but I suspect its bricked. I was hoping to use it to brush up on my IOS skills. It is a nice little fanless unit. Anyhow thanks for your help on this!

Shane

GarryG
Level 1
Level 1

Just had this problem on an 886VA ... I was able to fix it by doing a "erase nvram:" twice ... after doing a "write" I could see that the nvram "startup-confg", which remained valid both on "reload" as well as power cycle ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card