cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2 Trunks being created via SMF fibre Rx/Tx ?

Ken Le
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a scenario here where there is 1 x SMF fibre connecting via 20GB Dark Fiber.  As there is 2 stripes in 1 fibre, can it broken down into 2

trunking?

To create 2 x Trunking via this particular fibre , can it be done by configuring 1 x (Tx/Rx) stripe for 1 trunk

and the other 1 x (Tx/Rx) for 1 trunk?

Thanks.

ken

5 Replies 5

Hello,

no. RX/TX are the physical fiber strands, you cannot separate those. Trunking is done at layer 2, you can literally send hundreds of trunks across the fibre link. What is your setup, what are you trying to accomplish ?

George

Sorry for the late reply, I am trying to separate 2 links to form redundancy for 1x20GB, guess I have no other options. :)

I am also trying to achieve migration VMWare host and  VMWare ISCSI storage in phases to new site B from old site A, 
As such, understand that they need to be on same vlans before can perform vMotion. I am just wondering if trunk can achieve this end result?

Thanks again.

ken

Hello Ken,

separating the physical link into two (or more) trunks if effectively the same as physically separating the traffic.

What exactly is your (VLAN) requirement during the migration ?

George

Thanks for your input.

ken

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should be able to do this if you used CWDM or DWDM optics connecting to optical MUX using your dark fiber, however depending on what your migration requirements really need, there might be an easier way to accomplish your needs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card