cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a router go from static ip to dhcp on its own?

rajeshraju
Level 1
Level 1

I am experiencing an extremely unusual problem. I manage a building's high speed internet network. At the core of the network is a catalyst switch. From the catalyst each port goes to individual office tenants who use linksys soho routers. All of the tenants seem to be working fine. Except for one tenant. Their router is set to static ip and it seems to be changing back to factory default of dhcp on its own. Does anyone know what could possibly cause a router to go from static to dhcp? Linksys support insists this is not possible. However, I am witnessing this first hand, so I know it is. We have tried several different routers, to eliminate the possiblity of one bad router. It happened to every new linksys, dlink, and belkin router we have tried. But only with this one tenant. Then the problem goes away for weeks, only to come back at random. Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Did you upgrade the router's firmware? Linksys recommends that you default the system after the upgrade and re-enter the configuration. I have found out first-hand that inpredictable behaviour may result from not performing this action. The nasty thing about this problem is that it all seems to be OK at first so one tends to seek the cause somewhere else. This may very well explain your issue.

Regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card