cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I load balance/Load share between two different Service Providers with eBGP and iBGP between two different devices ?

Hi All,

Actually I have a same question but for a different Topology.

I have two routers connecting to different Service Providers (Router A to Service provider A1 and Router B to Service Provider B1).

We are using iBGP between A and B and eBGP between A to A1 and B to B1.

Can I use ''bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax'' command to load balance/share outbound traffic between these two service providers in different AS'es ?

Where all this command be applied ? in eBGP as well as iBGP ? (we are using VRF).

Regards

NAVAR

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @dharmendra.navar ,

are your edge routers A and B acting as PE that is they have an MP i  BGP session in AF VPNv4 or they have an iBGP session in AF vrf <Internet> ?

>> Can I use ''bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax'' command to load balance/share outbound traffic between these two service providers in different AS'es ?

The original use of the command should be to make comparable two eBGP routes coming from two eBGP sessions terminated on the same router.

Here you have two ISPs and two routers with an iBGP session in the middle.

The results may depend on the type of iBGP session they have  (VPNv4 rather then vrf <vrf-name>).

You can try and report here as in the context of VRFs the distinction between eBGP and iBGP ( advertisements coming from other PE node) is not considered.

Edit:

the command may be not available in the context of a VRF but you can use the following one

maximum-paths eibgp 2

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card