cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can lease line connected to ethernet port if there is no E1/T1 card?

Herman2018
Level 3
Level 3

we have one cisco router 4k without E1/T1 card. Now want to subscribe a lease line 128kb which the service provider said it need a serial interface on the router? Can we use a normal ethernet port g0/0/0 to connect this lease line? Can anyone please advise, thanks in advance? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Can we use a normal ethernet port g0/0/0 to connect this lease line? 
                    - No , if it's a serial line then you need a port which can do serial communications , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

I agree with @marce1000 that you can NOT connect a serial cable to an Ethernet interface. While the physical interface may look like it would fit, the protocols used for serial communication are VERY different from the protocols used for Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Can we use a normal ethernet port g0/0/0 to connect this lease line? 
                    - No , if it's a serial line then you need a port which can do serial communications , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I agree with @marce1000 that you can NOT connect a serial cable to an Ethernet interface. While the physical interface may look like it would fit, the protocols used for serial communication are VERY different from the protocols used for Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

Herman2018
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks @marce1000 @Richard Burts  for your kind advice!

I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

you'll need to clarify with your service provider what's their handoff/interface to your 4K router.

there's E1 (mostly in UK, Middle East and Asia) and T1 (US) which looks like an RJ45 cable but with pins terminated differently and "smart serial" which is a flat connector and connects to a CSU/DSU blue cable.

i'm surprised E1/T1 still exist as these are legacy in some countries/service providers (maybe used in remote ares?). is this for a voice/SIP service?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card