Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Remove a command from an interface ASR 907

ThomasD86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
on an ASR 907 router I am trying to remove the "no keepalive" command that is configured under an interface but without success.
I've trie to enter the "keepalive" command and despite not getting any errors upon pressing enter, the "no keepalive" command will still be present in the interface configuration. Additionally, I've tried to use the interface default command but even with that, certain commands won't be removed:

interface GigabitEthernet0/13/1
 description *** 1280898 ***
 mtu 9180
 no ip address
 negotiation auto
 no keepalive
 service instance 4001 ethernet
  description *** P2P MGMT ***
  encapsulation dot1q 4001
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
 !
end

ASR-01#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
ASR-01(config)#def
ASR-01(config)#default interface GigabitEthernet 0/13/1
Interface GigabitEthernet0/13/1 set to default configuration
ASR-01(config)#end
ASR-01#show run int GigabitEthernet 0/13/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 86 bytes
!
 no ip address
 negotiation auto
 no keepalive
end

Can anyone help me figure how to remove these commands?
Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ThomasD86
Level 1
Level 1

So I've managed to fix it, this was the issue:
The interface had a wrongly configured xconnect on it. The idea was to xconnect the 4001 EFP with a mpls pseudowire but instead they did this:

l2vpn xconnect context 77142
member pseudowire77142
member GigabitEthernet0/13/1

They only included the interface without the service-instance.

This caused the router to see that under the interface an xconnect was configured with an EFP #48:

ASR-01#show xconnect interface GigabitEthernet 0/13/1
Legend:    XC ST=Xconnect State  S1=Segment1 State  S2=Segment2 State
  UP=Up       DN=Down            AD=Admin Down      IA=Inactive
  SB=Standby  HS=Hot Standby     RV=Recovering      NH=No Hardware

XC ST  Segment 1                         S1 Segment 2                         S2
------+---------------------------------+--+---------------------------------+--
DN pri   ac Gi0/13/1:48(Eth VLAN)       DN mpls 172.16.128.81:77142           DN

After I deleted the xconnect, I was then able to remove the "no keepalive" command.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

what happens if you set keepalive to 10 (keepalive 10)?

Hi pman,

the command is seemingly accepted (no error when I enter the CLI) but the "no keepalive will persist". I tried to put the interface in shut then try to insert the CLI there, put it back in no shut and try again to no avail

ASR-01(config)#int GigabitEthernet0/13/1
ASR-01(config-if)#keepalive 10
ASR-01(config-if)#do show run int GigabitEthernet0/13/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 277 bytes
!
 description *** 0001280898 ***
 mtu 9180
 no ip address
 negotiation auto
 no keepalive
 service instance 4001 ethernet
  description *** P2P MGMT ***
  encapsulation dot1q 4001
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  shutdown
 !
end

Same goes for negotiation auto, I can enter no negotiation auto and I get no error message but, the configuration on the interface will still be "negotiation auto"

Weird thing is that for other gigabitEthernet interfaces on the same module and with the exact same configuration I am able to enter/remove the keepalive command just by typing keepalive or no keepalive. Same goes for the negotiation auto, just on this specific interface this doesn't seem to work.

Is that interface connected to some device? If so, disconnect that device and try configuring the interface with nothing connected.

HTH

Rick

ThomasD86
Level 1
Level 1

So I've managed to fix it, this was the issue:
The interface had a wrongly configured xconnect on it. The idea was to xconnect the 4001 EFP with a mpls pseudowire but instead they did this:

l2vpn xconnect context 77142
member pseudowire77142
member GigabitEthernet0/13/1

They only included the interface without the service-instance.

This caused the router to see that under the interface an xconnect was configured with an EFP #48:

ASR-01#show xconnect interface GigabitEthernet 0/13/1
Legend:    XC ST=Xconnect State  S1=Segment1 State  S2=Segment2 State
  UP=Up       DN=Down            AD=Admin Down      IA=Inactive
  SB=Standby  HS=Hot Standby     RV=Recovering      NH=No Hardware

XC ST  Segment 1                         S1 Segment 2                         S2
------+---------------------------------+--+---------------------------------+--
DN pri   ac Gi0/13/1:48(Eth VLAN)       DN mpls 172.16.128.81:77142           DN

After I deleted the xconnect, I was then able to remove the "no keepalive" command.

Glad to know that you found and fixed the problem. Thank you for sharing the explanation of the problem and the solution with the community. This is a pretty unusual situation and your explanation may turn out to be helpful for some other participants in the community.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: