Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot assign ip address to router port

rejlive95374
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have done this several times before with the same router 1841 and the same port on interface hwic-4esw but after I updated packet tracer to the latest version 8.1.1.0022 this very simple configuration no longer works for me. There is also the pkt here if anyone wants to see it.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

WT1.png

WT2.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I don't see how you can assign an IP address to any port on the hwic-4esw, these are layer 2 ports only. Do you have a screenshot of a previous version where this DID work ?

Router#sh ip int brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0/0/0 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/1 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/2 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/3 unassigned YES unset up down
Vlan1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

I don't see how you can assign an IP address to any port on the hwic-4esw, these are layer 2 ports only. Do you have a screenshot of a previous version where this DID work ?

Router#sh ip int brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
FastEthernet0/0 unassigned YES unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0/0/0 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/1 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/2 unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet0/0/3 unassigned YES unset up down
Vlan1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

No I erased the file to start over for other reasons. Which interface on the 1841 should use?  Does trunking the port on these interfaces make it possible to assign an IP? Maybe I did something different and I am not remembering.

Or maybe use the gigabit int for one switch and the fastethernets for the other two switches?

I just installed the interface wic-1enet and it allowed me to assign an ip to its single port. I noticed in the config that it just says ethernet and not fast ethernet does that matter? 

The WIC-1ENET is a single-port 10 Mbps Ethernet interface card, for use with 10BASE-T Ethernet LANs.

Turns out I dont need another interface because I can get rid of the DNS2 server so can settle for the two fa ports. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card